Immigration Update: Summary of Changes to Tier 4

Please note that since this article has been published immigration guidance has changed. Please see our post UK NARIC’s Visas and Nationality Service launches on 6 April which contains more up-to-date information.




As of the start of April 2012 there have been some changes that have come into force for Tier 4 of the Points Based System for immigration to the UK.

In previous blogs we have covered the requirements for Tier 4 and English Language and below are the most recent changes:

  • Mandatory highly trusted sponsor status  and Educational Oversight
  • Interim limits on international student numbers for some sponsors
  • New HTS criteria and strict threshold for academic progression
  • Work rights during and following study
  • Ability to bring dependants for some international students
  • Limit on time spent in the UK studying below degree level (3 years) and at degree level (5 years)
  • Increased profiling based on nationality
  • English language competency – introduction of SELT, interviews by immigration officers
  • Maintenance – Blacklisted financial institutions and accommodation fees restrictions
  • New provisions for partner institutions, branches and campuses

It is important that those wishing to come to the UK to work or study know about the latest developments in the immigration system.  For more information about the Tier 2 (Skilled Workers), please visit the relevant section of the UK BA site.  If you wish to come to the UK to study, make sure you are up-to-date with the student immigration route.


Tim Buttress, June 2012


Please check the Home Office website to ensure that you have the most up-to-date information.

2 Thoughts

  1. Good evening,
    I am trying to get my Bacalaureate diploma translared and the UK equivalent of it.
    On the application tier number 1, 2, 4 or 5 is requiered.
    I know it can not be 1 or 2 but am not sure which one from 4 or 5 it is.
    I have applied for an Police xonstable job and i need it.
    Please advise.
    Thank you

    1. Hi Andreea,

      Thank you for your comment. If you are applying for the Statement of Comparability to compare the overall level of the qualifications from overseas you do not need to provide the information about Tier and Route. This is only required if you are applying for our Visas and Nationality service with a University degree to assist with an application to the Home Office.

      I hope that this helps.
      UK NARIC

Comments are closed.