The UK NARIC International Comparisons database is continually updated to reflect changes and developments in education systems around the world, and to enhance the information available to our members.
Here’s our pick of ten updates you need to know about from last month:
- The French Baccalauréat is changing
The literary, economic and social, and scientific pathways that have traditionally formed part of the Baccalauréat général are being phased out. Students will instead dedicate a significant portion of their timetable to specialisation subjects (enseignements de spécialité) of their choice. There will also be changes to the assessment process for general and technical stream pupils.
- The Baccalauréat professionnel is changing too
Meanwhile the Baccalauréat professionnel has similarly been reformed, granting students the opportunity to explore a broad vocational sector (famille de métier) during their first year, before going on to specialise in a particular occupation thereafter.
- Reforms to vocational secondary education in Hungary
New vocational grammar school (szakgimnázium) and vocational secondary school (szakközépiskola) programmes were introduced from 2016.
- New secondary curriculum in Brazil
Legislation passed in 2017 established a common national curriculum, the Common National Curricular Base (Base Nacional Comum Curricular – BNCC).
- Grading information for Diplomas from Indian State Boards of Technical Education
The India file has now been updated to include details of the grading system typically used for Diplomas in engineering and technology subjects.
- Updated list of UCJ-accredited programmes for Jamaica
The latest list of programmes accredited by the University Council of Jamaica is now available.
- New information on TNE in Hungary
This new section includes details of changes to legislation in 2017 which affected overseas providers operating in the country.
- Updated grading information for the French Diplôme National du Brevet
The Diplôme National du Brevet is now graded out of 800, with a pass mark of 400.
- Baseline Qualifications Framework (Bosnia and Herzegovina)
The Bosnia and Herzegovina file now includes information on the framework, which is in the process of being implemented.
- Accreditation and quality assurance in the Cayman Islands and St Lucia
These two new sections have been added as we expand our information on quality assurance of higher education in the Caribbean.
UK NARIC members can view the latest updates by checking the Databank Latest Updates news feed on the top right of the member hub.